Sunday 3 February 2008

What the Caked Crusader chose to bake to this week (2 Feb 2008)

Some people just exude cool - Mose Allison is probably the coolest singer I can think of. He’s so laid back that you wonder how he’s staying awake. On top of his easy vocals, he’s a great pianist and songwriter.

The greatest hits CDs are the best value and my favourite is available from Amazon.
Plus (warning: obscure TV reference coming up) on the cover of this album he is a doppelganger for Howard Hughes from “Ever Decreasing Circles” - a great British TV comedy from the 1980s. Can’t find a photo of Howard to prove it – so you’ll have to take it on trust!

If you are drawn to the pessimistic side of the street how can you not love the lyrics to “I don’t worry about a thing”? It’s a gorgeous antidote to every sappy ‘I love life’ song out there – here’s the first verse:

If this life is driving
You to drink
You sit around and wondering
Just what to think
Well I got some consolation
I'll give it to you
If I might
Well I don't worry ‘bout a thing
Cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright

No comments: