Sunday 29 May 2016

White chocolate cheesecake





There is something about a bank holiday weekend that just makes you feel like you have more time for everything, including baking.  I wanted to bake something that was rich and indulgent, and would also be a fancy treat across the whole three days.  I don’t usually make baked cheesecakes but the minute I laid eyes on this one, on the BBC Good Food website, I knew it had to be!




Just reading the ingredients list indicated that this was going to be rich, rich, rich!  I tried to balance it by serving with fresh raspberries. Any acidic fruit would work well such as rhubarb or citrus.




The texture of this cheesecake is beautiful – I often find that baked cheesecakes can be a bit dense and heavy, resulting in that squeaky tooth feeling.  This one is light and almost mousse-like, but unmistakably a cheesecake.  Surprisingly, it isn’t too sweet either.




It’s possibly the first time I’ve made a baked cheesecake where I avoided a split on the top as it cooled.  I think I’ve had this in the past because I’ve overbaked it and not trusted that it would firm up enough during cooling; this time I made a conscious effort to turn the oven off after an hour even though the cheesecake looked barely set.




This makes a big cheesecake but don’t worry if you don’t want it all at once.  Cut it into slices and freeze for future treats! Or eat it all up in a couple of days – I won’t judge you.





Ingredients

For the base:
200g digestive biscuits, or Hobnobs
85g unsalted butter

For the topping:
400g white chocolate
300ml double cream
400g cream cheese – I used Philadelphia
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To serve: raspberries


Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/350F/gas mark 4.

Blitz the biscuits in a food processor and then add the butter (no need to melt if you’re using a food processor) and blitz again until combined.

Press into the base of a 23cm round springform tin.

Bake for 10 minutes, then leave to cool.

Reduce the oven to 140C/fan 120C/280F/gas mark 1.

Wrap the outside of the cake tin tightly in 2-3 layers of foil – this is to make it waterproof for its water bath later!

Now make the topping: Place the chocolate and the cream into a saucepan and melt together over a gentle heat.

Leave to cool for 5 minutes.

Beat together the cream cheese, eggs and vanilla.

Add the cooled chocolate cream mix and beat until smooth.

Place the tin (wrapped in foil) in a deep roasting tin and pour the filling into it.

Pour boiling water, from the kettle, into the roasting tin so that it comes about halfway up the side of the cake tin.

Bake for 1 hour, then turn the oven off.

Leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1 hour with the door closed, then for about another hour with the door slightly ajar. 

Remove the tin from the water bath and remove the foil.

Cover the top with clingfilm and refrigerate until about 10 minutes before you wish to serve it.

Serve either on its own, or with some fruit for a fancy dessert.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

10 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

absolutely beautiful and delicious !!!

Cakelaw said...

Yay for bank holidays and fabulous cheesecakes like this one.

Angie's Recipes said...

White chocolate is my husband's favourite, while cheesecake mine..and you have combined two in one...absolutely fabulous!

Maggie said...

I haven't made cheesecake for ages. The raspberries set it off nicely. Love those Good Food recipes.

Cakeyboi said...

This looks positively scrumptious. Love white chocolate paired with rasps!

Snowy said...

I love this - raspberries and white chocolate mmmmm .... and a cheesecake too! Looks fabulous.

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

I know exactly what you mean about a bank holiday being a great time for a bit of baking, that extra day makes such a difference and I finally dusted off the Kmix! This looks lovely- such a delicious classsic combination of flavours too

Jo said...

Mmmm white chocolate and raspberries, quite possibly my favourite flavour combination for a cheesecake.

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

It's a long time since I made cheesecake. I must rectify that. I always tend to prefer unbaked cheesecakes, but I have made a couple of amazing baked ones in the past.... I think it is just a matter of finding the right recipe. This looks and sounds like a good one! x

Choclette said...

I've only tried a baked cheesecake once and I got a split top, so your tip is a good one. CT would love me to make more, not quite sure why I don't.