Sunday 1 May 2016

Chocolate pecan tart






I suspect this may be the same as a Mississippi mud pie but haven’t called it that in case, like key lime pie, there’s a specific ingredient/aspect that defines it and I’m not aware of it!  These things can be a minefield so I thought I’d avoid causing any offence – in all honesty it was the inclusion of pecan nuts that made me just think, ‘hmm, best not go there!’




It’s a bank holiday weekend so that means the glorious euphoria that only an extra day off work can bring!  I wanted to make something that would last all weekend and provide dessert.  This met the brief and was also a tart that I knew we wouldn’t get bored of – seriously, how you could you ever tire of chocolate tart?




The tart souffled up whilst cooking and sank when cooling.  Don’t panic when this happens; although my outer ring of pecan nuts stood up like sentries and meant the edge couldn’t sink back down giving an ‘interesting’ final look!  Here it is souffled….




….and sunken:




I do admire the design of pecan nuts – they look like shrivelled brains.  Walnuts and pecans have it sewn up regarding ‘interesting looking nuts’.  Most nuts are a bit dull looking – smooth and pale, but these two have raised the bar and always make me pause to look whenever I bake with them.  The complexity in shape that nature can produce is fascinating.  I’ve re-read what I’ve just written and concede that some people may find it weird.  I can assure you that it’s when I say I’ve started talking to the nuts that you should worry (or when I claim that they answer back!)





Ingredients

For the tart base:
225g biscuits – I used hobnobs, but digestives or ginger biscuits would also work
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature

For the filling:
170g plain chocolate
170g unsalted butter
4 eggs
170g dark muscovado sugar
150ml whipping cream
100g pecan nuts

To serve: whipped cream


Method

Start by making the base: blitz the biscuits to crumbs in a food processor, then add the butter and blitz again until you have clumpy wet sand.  NB. If you use the food processor there is no need to melt the butter, unlike it you use the old ‘bash the biscuits with a rolling pin’ method!

Press the crumbs into a 20cm loose bottomed flan tin taking care to come right up the sides.

Place in the refrigerator while you make the filling.

Preheat the oven to 190C/fan oven 170C/375F/gas mark 5.

Melt the chocolate and butter together over a gentle heat.

Leave to cool for about 10 minutes – if the mix is too hot the eggs will scramble when you add them causing a lumpy final texture.

Whisk in the eggs and sugar until smooth and well combined.

Whisk in the cream.

Pour into the chilled biscuit base and place the pecan nuts on top, arranged however you wish.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the chocolate filling looks set.

Leave to cool before de-tinning.  Don’t worry that your tart will settle as it cools – this is normal.

Serve in generous slices with cream.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat

11 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Really amazing tart !
Love it CC :) :)

Angie's Recipes said...

I just can't take my eyes off this glorious pecan chocolate tart. I am saving this for a special occasion. Excellent job!

Janine said...

Looks great! I think it looks all the better for the sunken quality.

GiGi Eats Celebrities said...

WOW this cake is stunning! And reminds me of my favorite holiday! THANKSGIVING :D :D :D

Cakeyboi said...

I love pecan tart and chocolate pecan tart sounds like taking it to another amazing level!

Cakelaw said...

This looks sensational - a large slice for me please.

Cakelaw said...

This looks sensational - a large slice for me please.

Babsie said...

I made this tart this afternoon. I didn't have any dark muscovado sugar so I used plain brown sugar. It is decadent to say the least! Thanks so much.

Amanda said...

Made this following your recipe, absolutely delicious! Thanks so much!

Choclette said...

I have only one thing to say - I want a slice!

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

Yes please!!!! Looks divine and yes..... pecans and walnuts absolutely have it sown up on the 'attractiveness' front (and they taste fab too....)
The filling to this appears to be gluten free as well which is a bonus.... just need to sub some GF biscuits! Bookmarked xx