Sunday 5 June 2016

Bakewell thumbprint biscuits




If there’s one thing I’ve learned since I’ve been blogging it’s that good recipes can turn up anywhere; a particularly good source being supermarket free magazines.  This one is from the Co-Op’s magazine and combines two of my favourite things – biscuits and bakewells.  Sadly, I no longer live near a Co-Op but my mother in law does, and diligently picks up the new magazine for me whenever it’s available – thanks Dot!




We all probably made thumbprint biscuits as children; they must be up there with fairy cakes and rock buns as the ideal ‘starter’ bake for children.  But what I liked about this recipe was that it reinvented the familiar biscuit and introduced almonds and white icing to create a bakewell hybrid.  It really is a winning combination.




The recipe makes a lot of biscuits.  A lot.  The recipe said it would make 40, and I got 26 (this isn’t bad for me – normally when a recipe says 40 I get about 12!). This is very handy as it is a strong individual who will stop at one!


The lemon zest in the biscuit and the lemon juice in the white icing is quite strong; if you want the almond and jam to be more dominant I would recommend maybe using the zest in the biscuit and making the icing up with water.



Ingredients

For the biscuits:
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
175g caster sugar
1 lemon’s zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
150g ground almonds
150g self raising flour
approx ½ a jar of raspberry jam

For the icing:
80g icing sugar
1 lemon’s juice
Handful of toasted flaked almonds


Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/fan oven 160C/350F/Gas mark 4.

Line two (or four if you have them, otherwise you can just rotate the baking trays and use them twice) baking sheets with baking paper or non stick foil.

Beat together the butter, sugar, zest and vanilla until light and whippy; you will notice the mix turning pale.

Add the egg and beat well.

Add the ground almonds and self raising flour and stir until just mixed.

Take a heaped teaspoon of the mix and roll into a ball.

Place on the baking sheet.

Repeat until the tray is full – they do spread while baking so aim for a maximum of 8 per baking sheet (depending on the size of your sheet.)

Push your thumb into each ball to form a well.

Spoon ½ teaspoon of jam into each well.

Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes until golden and nicely spread. I found mine needed longer – about 16-18 minutes, but it’s good to check after 10 minutes if only to rotate the trays for an even bake.

Repeat the process until all your biscuit dough is used up.

Leave to cool.

Now make the icing: mix together the icing sugar with just enough lemon juice (you won’t need it all) until you have a thick but runny icing.

Drizzle across the top of the cooled biscuits.

Scatter over the flaked almonds.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

12 comments:

Choclette said...

Oh how funny. I've just picked up a copy of the co-op magazine and have bookmarked this very recipe to try. Like you, I like the idea of combining biscuits and bakewell tarts. I think I quite like the idea of the tart icing to offset the sweetness of the jam, so I'll stick to lemon. Yours look a lot prettier than I suspect mine will ;)

Angie's Recipes said...

I love thumbprint cookies..the icing makes each of them like a mini jam tart.

Cakeyboi said...

I've yet to make thumbprint cookies - these look so cute! (I'm loving the Co-op's new branding - going back to the old clover leaf logo, so retro!!)

Gloria Baker said...

Love these CC soooo beautiful :) :)

Cakelaw said...

oooh, lovely. I do like the idea of combing a Bakewell tart and a jam drop - so pretty too.

Jean said...

These look lovely, very tempting. As you say, a winning combination of ideas, Bakewell tart and what we used to call "raspberry buns", because that's what we always put in them, a blob of raspberry jam!
Thanks for the recipe, I shall look out for the magazine myself.

Maggie said...

They are really lovely and I would definitely eat the lot.

Snowy said...

What a great idea. They look yummy.

Jo said...

What a great hybrid, I definitely need to try this recipe. It certainly makes an adorable batch of biscuits. I'd feel tempted to omit the lemon zest and add a drop of almond essence just to really ramp up the almond flavour!

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

What a yummy idea. Bakewell is such a classic flavour, it must be fab in biscuit form...... I think I would add extra almond extract into the biscuit base mix to ramp up the Bakewell flavour.

Distinctive Confectionery said...

Great article - these treats look delicious!

Clipping Path Service said...

I really like and appreciate your post.Thanks Again. Keep writing.