Sunday 22 May 2016

Cider cake




For Mr CC’s birthday we took a luxury train trip right the way across the country to Somerset; the carriages were all authentic Pullman carriages from the Art Deco era (the sort of train someone usually gets murdered on in an Agatha Christie tale…luckily our trip was less eventful!) – ours had been used by the Queen for a trip so we felt pretty pampered:




I think I mentioned a week or two back that, wherever we visit, I try to buy a fridge magnet and honey.  Honey didn’t seem right for Somerset so I flexed the rule to mean ‘local food produce’ and came back with a rather lovely little jug of cider.  If I’m being entirely honest it was the jug that swayed me more than the cider.




The cider is somewhere between the extremely fizzy ciders you find in supermarkets and the more traditional flat cider.  ‘Flat’ always sounds an unappealing description; it has a critical edge to it, but all I mean is it’s not fizzy.  While I’m always partial to a bit of fizz I must confess to rather liking the less carbonated varieties as I seem to taste the apple more somehow.  I also thought it would be nice for baking with, hence this week’s choice of cake.




The addition of the cinnamon is lovely because it emphasises the apple element and conjures up the flavours you expect from an apple pie.  The sponge is a light texture and makes the cake very eatable (I know – all cakes fall into this category, but there is just something about a soft, crumbly sponge!).  I added a sprinkling of sugar on the top for a bit of crunch.





Ingredients

150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g light muscovado sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra for the topping
3 eggs
340g plain flour
1 ½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
225ml cider


Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/fan oven 160C/350F/gas mark 4.

Line a 20cm round springform tin with baking paper.

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and pale – it won’t go truly whippy, as it would with caster sugar, as the muscovado is grainier.

Beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Weigh out the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon and mix together.

Fold in a third of the flour mix, followed by a third of the cider.

Repeat until all the ingredients are incorporated.

Spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface.

Sprinkle the additional sugar over the top.

Bake for approximately 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Leave to cool in the tin for approximately 20 minutes, until you can safely handle to de-tin. 

Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.

The cake will keep for several days in an airtight tin.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

9 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Glad to know that you had a wonderful train trip! This sounds like an easy and tasty cake recipe. Did you use a tart pan or springform tin?

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Angie

A 20cm round springform tin

Happy baking

Maggie said...

Hi CC - that trip on the Pullman looks amazing I am so envious!

Cakeyboi said...

Cider is amazing stuff. I always have a soft spot for it, as it was all I liked when turning 18 and it was all I really liked (nowadays anything goes!).

But the thought of cinnamon and apple cider in a cake - oh my goodness! Your trip sounded great too!

Jo said...

Check you out travelling like the Queen! Haha. That definitely looks like the best way to travel.

Such a satisfyingly deep sponge, mmmmm.

Cakelaw said...

What a lovely trip. This cake sounds fab - I have lots of cider at home do this cake has my name on it.

Nickki said...

Sounds wonderful - I've never baked with cider before. I must give it a go!

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

You can't go to Somerset without picking up some cider! And what a great way to use it..... Lovely looking sponge and the extra cinnamon hit is perfect for the apple. Delicious!

Choclette said...

What a wonderful trip to make. I haven't made a cider cake for years, but I think it's about time I did. Yours looks glorious.