Sunday 19 June 2016

Coconut brownies






I had virtually no time to bake this weekend but, nonetheless, wanted some home baking.  This is the perfect recipe to have up your sleeve – the work of minutes to get in the oven, very few ingredients, and utterly delicious. 




If I had to pick my favourite things to pair with chocolate coconut would be right at the top of the list, perhaps having to slug it out with pear for who actually had the top spot.  There is just something about coconut that brings out the best in chocolate and vice versa.  I love the damp grainy texture of baked desiccated coconut and that you can find bits of it in your teeth for a while after eating – it’s the ingredient that keeps on giving!





One thing I think it’s important to point out – this recipe didn’t behave like a normal brownie recipe; usually, when you’ve done the melting of the chocolate and butter you end up with quite a liquid mixture right until you add the flour, and even then it’s a runny mix.  This was thicker and only started to loosen when I added the eggs – here’s what it looked like after the initial melting stage (just so you don’t panic that it’s gone wrong if yours looks similar!):




Possibly the only difficult thing about baking brownies is judging when to remove them from the oven.  I work on the assumption that things firm up/set/dry out a little on cooling so try and take them out before they look ‘done’.  This goes against my prudent nature and I feel a bit of a risk-taking daredevil in removing something from the oven before it looks ready, but I force myself, and the momentary stress is worth it!  In my opinion a brownie is better a little underdone, than a little over.





Ingredients

100g cocoa powder
250g unsalted butter
500g golden caster sugar
4 eggs
100g self raising flour
100g desiccated coconut, plus 2 tablespoons extra to sprinkle on top


Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/fan oven 160C/350F/gas mark 4.

Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper or non stick foil.

Place the cocoa powder, butter and sugar into a large pan (large enough to accommodate all the additional ingredients) and melt over a gentle heat, stirring all the time so nothing catches on the bottom of the pan.

When everything has combined remove from the heat and leave to cool for about 10 minutes.

Beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Fold in the flour and coconut.

Pour into the prepared tin and sprinkle the extra coconut over the top.

Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the brownie is set but not firm.  Best to start checking after about 30 minutes as ovens vary.  If the top is getting too dark and crusty, cover loosely with foil and continue to bake.

Leave to cool in the tin and, when cool, cut into chunky sized squares.

Serve with a cup of tea, or warm and serve with ice cream for dessert.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

13 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

It sounds and looks sinfully decadent and irresistible!

Cakelaw said...

These look so chocolatey and delish - and a quick recipe is a good recipe when time is short.

Snowy said...

What an interesting combination, and they look so moreish.

Gloria Baker said...

Look delicious CC :) :)

Hello said...

Glorious x

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

Oh yes! Great brownie! One of my favourite brownies is chocolate banana coconut...... not so different and a great combo!

Cakeyboi said...

Chocolate and coconut are my favourite combination at the moment- gooey, fudgy brownies are a great way to enjoy that combo. Must make these!

Jean said...

I don't think I have ever combined chocolate and coconut - it sounds like a great combination. The brownies look delicious.
I struggle with brownies, knowing when they are done. I once read a blog post where the writer found her brownies were so underdone they were raw, nearly threw them in the bin put put them on the side, thinking the ingredients were far to expensive to chuck out. She put them back in the oven for ten minutes - the following day!! They turned out fine!

Choclette said...

Ooh yes I do agree, there's little more disappointing than an overdone brownie. I'm also wondering if Jean if referring to me above, because I've done just that and posted about it too. Also agree that chocolate and coconut make for a fab combination. I haven't made coconut brownies in years, but now I've seen yours I think I might just be knocking some up soon.

Maggie said...

I must confess I haven't ever made brownies - hubby said he wouldn't like them! I'd love to try home made ones though......

Jo said...

Oh what I would give to have a warm chocolate and coconut brownie with some ice-cream... that would round off my evening perfectly.

Jeff the Chef said...

These brownies look delicious! I've never thought to use foil to lift them out of the pan; nice idea.

Two Wednesdays said...

Oh - coconut brownie - heaven for a bounty addict! Sadly my children don't like coconut so I would have to eat it all (well DH might eat a bit I suppose). No good for my already too generous waistline, but I think I just might have to try this anyway.