Wednesday 1 January 2014

Snowy rocky road



Now for something that requires no baking and very little prep, this was one of the stand-out hits of my Christmas goodies!  This is the perfect treat for having on standby in the fridge whenever a cup of tea needs a little bit of something tasty to accompany it.




You could reinvent this and change the ingredients, for example switching sultanas for the cranberries, or almonds for the pistachio, but the combination set out below really worked well – whatever you do, make sure you keep the mix of chewy and crunchy.




The pistachio and cranberry also looked festive sitting in the white chocolate.  I struggled to get good photos as it must have been one of the greyest, wettest, darkest Christmases ever...and, of course, I only remembered to photograph it when I was sitting with my cup of tea waiting to eat a square.  Impatience and greed does not make for good photos!




Happy New Year everyone – here’s to a year of wonderful bakes and may you never have a soggy bottom!





Ingredients

400g white chocolate, chopped
25g mini marshmallows
50g desiccated coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
50g dried sweetened cranberries
40g pistachios, roughly chopped
50g ginger nut biscuits, broken into small chunks but not crumbs
To decorate: sprinkles of your choice


Method

Line a tin approximately 15cm x 20cm with clingfilm.

Melt the chocolate, either in the microwave or in a bowl above a saucepan of steaming water (making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water).  Be gentle and don’t rush as white chocolate is more sensitive than other chocolate.

Stir in all the ingredients and spoon into the prepared tin, leveling the surface.

Sprinkle over the additional coconut and decoration of your choice; I used bronze sugar pieces.

Refrigerate until set and then remove from the tin and cut into squares.

Keep in the fridge until wanted – it keeps for days.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

14 comments:

Choclette said...

Haha, we all live in fear of soggy bottoms. Pleased to say the squash and leek tart I made for today's lunch had a nice crisp bottom!

Your rocky road looks lovely and festive, though I suspect it would be a bit too sweet for me.

Happy New Year

Cakeyboi said...

As I have a Very Sweet Tooth - I know your rocky road would be right up my street! Have a very Happy New Year CC!

Victory Rolls & Mixing Bowls said...

Happy new year! I've missed reading your weekly posts, lovely post as usual :)

Baking Addict said...

Happy new year CC! Wishing you health, happiness and no soggy bottoms! :) this looks like a delicious sweet treat perfect with a cup of tea.

Ulla said...

Happy New Year to you!
I might to half or quarter of this portion to my husband one day. He loved Rocky road and I think this with cranberries would work well. Too sweet for me this is.

A Way With the Fairy Cakes said...

This is just wonderful, isn't it? A real show-stopper, and delicious to boot! I first made it back in Feb 2013 and it was such a hit that I made it for my family and loved ones this Christmas. You've photographed it really beautifully :-)

Gloria Baker said...

OMY!! soooo delicious!

Happy New Year!

Jo said...

White chocolate rocky road might just be the best way to bring in the new year. Gloriously sweet! Wishing you all the best for 2014, CC!

Izzy said...

Happy New Year! I just Love rocky road, and that looks wonderful!

Susie @ Fold in the Flour said...

This looks right up my street - gorgeous. happy New Year, CC, and all the best for 2014! :)

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Happy New Year and what a lovely treat to kick start 2014 with!

Hello said...

Happy new year, I love the marshmellow & pistachio pieces in your snowy rocky road x

Cakelaw said...

I like the gold sparkles on top - so right for Christmas.

CupandCake said...

Happy New Year! I made these for Christmas too and they were a massive hit - I added popping candy in there too for an extra surprise! :)

Really pleased to have found your blog - looks like you've got some really great recipes on here!