Thursday 26 December 2013

Trifle cheesecake





Trifle or cheesecake?  Surely, one of the toughest decisions the dessert menu can pose.  Well, fret no more because nature has found a solution: trifle cheesecake.  All the flavour and texture of cheesecake with all the bells and whistles of trifle.




As soon as I saw this recipe in the BBC Good Food Christmas magazine I knew it was what we’d be eating after Christmas lunch.  If I was in a romcom, I could tell the BBC they had me at “trifle cheesecake”.




Christmas would be much more drab without sprinkles:




When you think about it, some cheesecakes already have a thick fruity layer on top but more of a set coulis than jelly.  The jelly works really well and lightens the whole dessert.  It was definitely a crowd pleaser.




I thought I had lined my tin pretty thoroughly, and also thought I had spread out the cheesecake layer to close off any holes.  Wrong.  That liquid jelly is a terror and I say this to prepare you for the likelihood of leakage.  Take precautions in advance – lots of kitchen paper under the tin will prevent it looking like a jelly massacre took place shortly before you opened the fridge door.  Also have a spare packet of jelly to make up for the jelly lost in leakage; it looks a bit weird if your raspberries are left poking out the top! (Not a sentence I ever thought I’d type)



Apologies for the poor quality photos; the light wasn’t great and, by this point in events, I had roast potato-fuelled inertia.  In other words....a typical Christmas!  Hope you all had a good one!





Ingredients

For the base:
250g digestive biscuits
100g unsalted butter

For the cheesecake layer:
3 gelatine leaves
3 tablespoons Bird’s custard powder
200ml milk
100ml double cream
900g cream cheese – I used Philadelphia
200g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the jelly:
1 x 135g pack raspberry jelly cubes (You might want a spare pack on standby, should you lose jelly to leakages – I did!)
175g raspberries

For the cream:
300ml double cream
Cadbury’s Flake
Sprinkles of your choice


Method

Line a 23cm round springform tin with foil or clingfilm.  It needs to be completely lined.  Also wrap the outside of the tin with foil – because the chances are the jelly will leak!  If you’re a pessimist (I am) then place some kitchen paper under the tin inside the foil as it soaks up any leaks.

In a food processor blitz together the digestive biscuits and butter (no need to melt) until it resembles wet sand.

Press the biscuits crumbs into the base of the prepared tin and refrigerate.

Now make the custard for the cheesecake layer: place the gelatine leaves into a bowl of cold water.  Put to one side.

Spoon the custard powder into a bowl.

Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan and then take three or four tablespoons of this to stir into the custard powder and make a thick paste.

Heat the milk and cream in the saucepan until almost at boiling point.

Pour over the custard paste and stir to ensure no lumps.

Return to the saucepan and heat, stirring all the time, until the custard thickens.

Remove from the heat.

Squeeze all the water from the gelatine leaves and whisk into the warm custard.

Pour into a bowl and press clingfilm onto the surface to stop a skin forming.

Leave to cool.

When it is cool, you can make the cheesecake layer: beat together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth and well combined.

Stir the custard to loosen it a bit, and then beat into the cheesecake mix.

Spoon over the biscuit base and return to the refrigerator for 4 hours.

Now make the jelly layer: Make half the packet of jelly and leave, in the jug to cool for 30 minutes or so.

Pour over the cheesecake and place the raspberries in the jelly.  At this point, they won’t be covered.  There might be some jelly leakage at this point but if you have prepared your tin adequately it shouldn’t cause any fridge-carnage!

Refrigerate for an hour.

Make up the remaining half pack of jelly and pour over the raspberries.

Refrigerate for an hour or until the jelly is totally set.

Whip up the cream and pipe over the jelly on top of the trifle.

Sprinkle over crushed Flake or almonds, or any sugar decoration you have.

Remove from the refrigerator about 10 minutes before you wish to serve.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

14 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

what beautiful cheescake dear!!
xxx
(I will post my new récipe son:)

Izzy said...

How interesting, a trifle cheesecake! I don't like the 'soggy sponge' element of trifle so this looks lovely!

the hatter said...

i'd probably make a little jelly first, dilute it less than normal, use the icecube method for rapid setting, fridge that first, to have that as a leak-finding/sealing layer, can make the rest of the jelly later and add that on top (again using the ice cube method, so as not to melt the first layer.

Sounds a great recipe, regardless

Joanne said...

Yours looks amazing!
I made this for Christmas day and our jelly layer was a complete failure! When we opened the tin, (very carefully) most of the jelly layer just slid off!! Did you give your cheesecake edge a bit of a lip? as the instructions said to level it!
I have to say, we still ate it and everyone agreed it tasted delicious and was a perfect combination, it was just a bit ugly on the plate!

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Joanne

No, I levelled it too. I did lose a bit to leakage though, so it wasn't all plain sailing!

Happy Christmas!

Jo said...

Trifle cheesecake?! I can't think of anything else to say other than "YES!!!"

Janine said...

What a great idea for a cheesecake! Looks delicious. I've tried jelly on a cheesecake before and it tasted really good but had a habit of sliding off the cheesecake...

Nickki said...

I was just showing this recipe to my husband last night, I'm going to make it this weekend. Yours looks fantastic!

Rosemary said...

Hello it looks great i am going to make this one for my Aussie new year, I am sure family will love it, I make a similar one its the favourite of everyone every party I take it my first time my jelly leaked then i let it set for a while, then pour it gently its been working for years, and when in season I make a mango butterscotch sauce we pour when we serve love your recipes glad to havefound this site

Unknown said...

I love the idea of this - really, what's not to like?

Choclette said...

Haha, trust you, jelly cheesecake. Looks spectacular though.

Hope you've been enjoying the festivities and I wish you all the best for 2014.

Maggie said...

Lovely trifle cheesecake - my hubby would be in heaven eating this one!
A very Happy New Year.

Cakeyboi said...

I think I might try this next Christmas CC!

scott Paul said...

Thanks for the recipe just made the kids one and they absolutely loved it fantastic