Sunday 15 June 2008

What the Caked Crusader chose to bake to this week (14 June 2008)

However much you like a band there’s always one album that you head for more than any other. For me Radiohead’s “The Bends” is the superior album to the also great “OK Computer”. I just about stayed with them up to “Kid A” and then found it all too much for my fragile little ears. Call me old fashioned but I’m rather too fond of choruses and verses to go down the avant-garde electronic noise route.

But anyway, back to the good stuff – how can you even pick a favourite track from an album as great as “The Bends”? I love the opening guitar riff of “Just” – which could be the best track on the album, but then there’s the bite of “The Bends”, the dreaminess of “Nice Dream” and the lump in the throat emotion of “High and Dry” and “Fake Plastic Trees”. Actually it’s easier to pick out the one track I don’t like; however much I try, I have always disliked “Bones”. There’s something about the chorus that brings me out in hives (the plodding Status Quo style guitars don’t help either!)

As I type this “My Iron Lung” has just started to play – how could I have left that out of the contenders for best track? When the song changes pace and the guitars crash in it makes you sit up in your seat but is then trumped by Thom Yorke doing the “and if you’re frightened” bit. Top class.

No comments: