Sunday 30 March 2008

What the Caked Crusader chose to bake to this week (29 Mar 2008)

Those who read this bit of my site (if anyone!) will know by now that I’m a sucker for anyone who can write a good lyric. In the 1990s, when Britpop and Cool Britannia was all the thing many journalists called Oasis the new Beatles, because of their melodies and style, and Blur the new Kinks, because of their wit and quirkiness. To my mind, this would be to miss a link in the chain. The natural successor to the Kinks is surely Squeeze , formed in the 1970s but churning out material right through to the 1990s. If quirky, humorous, interesting pop music is your thing and you appreciate a biting wit, then seek out a Squeeze greatest hits CD at once!

How can you not love songwriters who can write a blistering line such as: my assets froze while yours have dropped
That one’s from “Is that love?” but there are so many classics such as “Cool for cats”, “Labelled with love”, “Up the Junction” (a particular fave as the title only appears as the song’s last three words), “Hourglass”, “Take me I’m yours” and – as the greatest hits adverts always say – many, many more!

1 comment:

Cakespy said...

OMG I love, love, love Squeeze! Cool for Cats and Pulling Mussels from a She-elllllll are my absolute favorites!!

Now this is music to my ears and the perfect soundtrack for baking!