Sunday 4 October 2009

Rolo cake


I’m not too sure how internationally known Rolos are but any soft caramel sweet covered in chocolate will work for this cake. I was interested to read that our friends across the pond pronounce them as “Roll-oh” rather than the British way of “Roh-Loh”. Maybe I’m easily interested.....

The cake mix requires 100g of Rolos which is fantastic news as a tube of Rolos is actually 52g. If you need me to explain why this is good, hang your head in shame! Just so my eatership were “Rolo’d up” enough I used an extra tube of Rolos to decorate the top...along with my chocolate hedgehogs I bought in Salzburg. I fully accept that most people don’t come back from Salzburg with chocolate hedgehogs but, in my defence, I did buy them shortly after exiting the liqueur shop (where I sampled some rather strong stuff!)


It’s best to cut the Rolos in half for this cake so they melt and you get little rich, squidgy pockets in the cake. As we’re approaching Christmas (there! I used the C word and it’s only October!!!) the supermarkets are starting to stock tubes of mini Rolos; these are exactly the same but, as the name suggests, tiny versions – these can be used whole.

In truth, I don’t think you’d know the cake had Rolos in it; the cake tastes like chocolate truffles but lighter and spongier....which means you can eat more of it! The addition of the Rolos makes the cake incredibly moist.

When I’d put buttercream around the edge of the cake I rolled it in a tub of chocolate caramel curls I had (can’t remember where I got them – sorry) but chocolate vermicelli, crushed flake or even just some Rolos applied to the edge would be lovely.

This could be a “just me then” moment but don’t you think this little hedgepig looks like he’s been tucking into the cake?

Serving suggestion for those who feel that a truffley chocolate cake with chocolates on top needs something extra:


Ingredients:
For the cake:
200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
150g self raising flour
50g cocoa powder
100g Rolos, chopped if using normal sized ones

For the buttercream:
150g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

To decorate: additional tube of Rolos, and your choice – crushed Flake, chocolate vermicelli, chocolate caramel curls – whatever takes your fancy!

To serve: soft whipped cream (this is quite gluttonous – I think normal people would probably have the cake as it is)

Method

- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.

- Line a 20cm springform round tin with baking paper.

- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.

- Add the eggs a little at a time and add some of the flour if the mixture starts to curdle.

- Gently stir in the flour and cocoa.

- Stir in the rolos.

- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Mine took a little longer at 40 minutes. The cake will settle on cooling but this is because it’s so rich and squidgy.

- Leave to cool in the tin, on a wire rack.

- When cool make the buttercream: cream together the icing sugar and butter until smooth.

- Beat in the vanilla extract and cocoa powder.

- If the mix is a but solid, add a dash of milk to soften and slacken.

- Spread over the cake and decorate as required – I used chocolate caramel curls and Rolos.

- Serve as a dessert or afternoon tea treat with cream (if you’re greedy like me)

- Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have made.

- Eat.


16 comments:

Patty O. said...

I am totally drooling on the keyboard here. Wow, that looks incredible! I can't wait to try making it. I am always in charge of desserts at my sister's on Christmas (I said the C word too and it's not even Halloween). This would be perfect...Thanks for sharing!

Caroline said...

Mmm, chocolate overload - can't go wrong with chocolate! Looks fab - moist and delicious.

PS I think your little hedgehog looks like he's been at the cake too - it's the grubby bit under his snout that gives the game away......

Quinn said...

I'm from Massachusetts, and have only heard "Roh-loh."

Yum. Wish I had a roll right now. Or a slice of that cake!!!

trash said...

Well yum! I feel this may be necessary to bring to my new godson's Christening tea party next week :-)

Anonymous said...

dont really like rollos but am definately going to make this cake..........yes i am obsessed by chocolate especially chocolate cake!!! have never heard of mini rollos before!! nikki

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely incredible, and I love the hedgehogs - anyone in their right mind would have bought them!

What was the rolo-and-hedgehog-special occasion??

Rosie of BooksAndBakes

Jules said...

This cake looks delicious. I love the hedgehogs!

glamah16 said...

Cocolate hedgehogs! OMG! What were you drinking? I havent had a Rolo in ages. This cake is fun.

Scarlett said...

Thank you for sharing your rolo recipe, I've been looking for something a little bit different to put on the Sunday tea table for a little while - might just have a bash at this one next weekend.

Maggie said...

I have never heard of Rolo cake before. Love the hedgehogs - want one!
My grandchildren would love this cake.

Maria♥ said...

Wow that is one amazing chocolate cake, love it!

Maria
x

Maria said...

What a fun cake! I haven't had Rolos in years!

Cakelaw said...

Yum! I am a huge fan of Rolos - you can get them here. Those hedgehogs are adorable - I'd buy them whether I'd drunk hard liqueur or not. I want to go back to Austria!!!

Elizabeth said...

Never thought of using Rolos on a cake - very clever. The cake looks very good and I lust after the little hedgehogs... maybe I'm going to have the scour the internet for a hedgehog shaped chocolate form.

Katie said...

Ohh the cake looks so wonderfully fudgey and chocolaty. Those chocolate hedgehogs are sooooo cute!

the princess said...

and i have to tell you, they have chocolate hedgie's here in london, at hope and greenwood:
www.hopeandgreenwood.co.uk

and some other cute animals too :)