Sunday 3 May 2009

Raspberry cheesecake


The end of April through early May is birthday central in my family. The CCB (Caked Crusader’s Brother) is a cheesecake fiend and dropped subtle hints that he would like a cheesecake for his birthday cake. These subtle hints comprised of several emails saying, “make me a cheesecake”. Subtlety isn’t a gift my family is blessed with.


The addition of raspberries to this cheesecake did make it rather a girly colour but I feel that was balanced against the Darth Vader cake topper. Both Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker’s light sabres lit up when you pressed a button on their backs. Surely they are the most man-friendly cake toppers ever?



I have made this cheesecake before but with peaches. The recipe can be found here.

I pureed 400g of raspberries and, after sieving out the seeds, found this gave me enough puree not only for the body of the cheesecake but also to top the cheesecake. I made the topping by simply heating the puree and then whisking in two further gelatine leaves, that had been soaked in cold water until soft and then squeezed dry.


The cake was a success and the CCB went home with lots of little wrapped packages of individual slices to freeze and enjoy at a later date or, as he termed it: the gift that keeps on giving!

16 comments:

pink-kimono said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE CAKE TOPPERS!!!
Quite tempted to get some for my brother's wedding cake (I'm not making it!) But I think the bride might not like it - maybe I'll put Vader in a little white dress...

April said...

fabulous! Those cake toppers are amazing!!

April xx

silverpebble said...

I was just showing this to Mr P. He's a massive cheesecake fan and he was moderately excited (good for him - he's NOT a blogger). I scrolled down to where Darth and Luke were fighting on the cake. 'Now THAT is cool.'Personally I could gobble the lot x

Patty O. said...

This looks divine!!! I LOVE raspberries, and who doesn't love cheesecake. I wonder if I can get my husband to make this for me for Mother's Day. We will have to find someone to share it with, though, as it looks huge. Thanks for the recipe!

Caroline said...

That looks gorgeous! Love the depth too - it looks really indulgent and delicious!

trash said...

oooo! Do you think foodb!tch doesn't like her almost s-i-l?????

I told CK he would love this post by you, he asked if it featured scantily clad women. When told no he was willing to accept mahoosive cheesecake in its stead.

Cheesecake Recipes said...

Oh my gosh, this cake is to die for, the SW toppers just made it the choice for my little boys birthday. :) Yuuuuuummmm!

Sarah said...

Definately going to try that one, but I've always been put off by making cheesecake due to the gelatine leaves - they make me rather nervous - sill isn't it?!

Sam said...

This is incredible, I love it! Those cake toppers are really cool too!

Big Boys Oven said...

wow this is awesome, someone is fighting on top of the cake lol!

Cakelaw said...

OMG - I want a slice!!! It looks fantastic, and raspberries and cheesecake are 2 of my all time favourite flavours - man, CCB is a lucky boy.

Katie said...

Wow it looks fantastic! So tall and creamy looking

Maggie said...

A wonderful cheesecake with fabulous cake toppers!

Maria♥ said...

Wow, what a delicious cheesecake! And how lucky is your brother ;o)

Maria
x

J.L. Danger said...

OH MY GOD! This thing is gigantic! Looks sooooo good!

glamah16 said...

Now thats a cheesecake.Perefection.