Sunday 7 February 2016

Mint chocolate biscuits




Long-time readers of my site will remember the anti-mint sentiments included in my TenCommandments.  My feelings to mint can be summed up quite simply – I hate it with a passion, particularly when a sprig finds its way onto my dessert plate for no good reason.  NB.  There is never a good reason. 




There are two exceptions I will happily cite: mint sweets, and mint with chocolate.  It has NO place in anything else – particularly savoury foods.  Bleugh….lamb and mint - whoever thought that was a good idea?  Mad people and mint farmers, that’s who.




Mint tea???  No!  I have tried it on various occasions and never got past two sips before wishing I just had some normal PG Tips in my cup.  The word ‘tea’ brings so much excitement into my life but there’s always such sadness and disappointment when it’s paired with ‘mint’.




This recipe appealed to me because I have a fondness for Matchmakers.  Often minty chocolate features in Christmas recipes and I liked that this is very much an all year round bake.  I also liked that the recipe doesn’t use up the whole box of Matchmakers….so the cook gets some perks!




These biscuits are crisp, thin and buttery; they hold their shape well during baking giving them a smart, uniform appearance.  They are lovely on their own, but would also be nice served with ice cream for dessert.



Ingredients

For the biscuits:
225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
140g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
280g plain flour
100g mint chocolate sticks, finely chopped – I used Matchmakers


Method

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla.

Stir in the flour and chopped matchmakers and bring together to form a dough.

Cut the dough in half, flatten each into a fat disc and wrap in clingfilm.

Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190C/fan oven 170C/375F/gas mark 5.

Line two large baking sheets with baking paper or non stick foil – you may have to use the trays twice i.e. bake in batches.

Take the first disc of dough and roll out between two sheets of clingfilm – aim for about the thickness of a £1 coin (3mm approx).

Using a cutter no bigger than 6cm, cut out the dough.  You need to get 15 biscuits from each half of dough.

Place onto the prepared sheets leaving space around as they will spread when baking.

Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes until golden.

Leave to cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Repeat the process with the second half of the dough.


Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.

Eat.

13 comments:

Tigger said...

These look really nice and a very good excuse to buy a box of chox - which is usually a bit too self indulgent!

Mint goes with lamb because traditionally lamb is at its best during the mint-growing season -ditto cranberry & turkey, beef & mustard, pork & apples.

OK, lecture over. I just want to say how much I enjoy your posts and your recipes.

Maggie said...

I'm fine with mint but spearmint I can neither understand or abide.
I love snapping matchmakers and this is such a lovely way to use them in your biscuit bake.

Suelle said...

I like mint in savoury dishes, but the only sweet use I like is in sweets and chocolates. But... not mint and chocolate together in baked goods such as cakes or biscuits. That probably makes my mint dislike even weirder than yours!

Angie's Recipes said...

I don't like mint tea either, but the combo of mint and chocolate is fine with me. These buttery cookies look crisp and very inviting mint chocolate.

Baking Addict said...

I remember your ten Commandments. I love mint with chocolate and minty desserts. These biscuits look great and I'd happily eat a whole box of it!

Summer said...

These biscuits are perfection ♥

summerdaisy.net

Gloria Baker said...

Love these biscuits !! LOok delicious!!!
xoxox

Jo said...

Haha I identify with your hatred for mint. Mint tea is utterly disgusting, whoever thought that was a good idea?! I'm not a fan of mint chocolate either but your biscuits look too good to resist.

Snowy said...

I love mint chocolate, but don't like the combination in cakes. Your biscuits look delicious and very moreish.

Unknown said...

These mint chocolate biscuits look yummy. Awesome. :)

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

Blimey CC...... That is a seriously withering hatred of mint!
I am afraid I AM a mint lover (including tuna with mayo and mint sauce in sandwiches!) Perhaps I was a mint farmer in a former life? And I love the smell of it too.......
I would more than happily eat choc-mint cookies!!!!

Choclette said...

For such a mint hater, I'm rather amazed you ran to mint biscuits. I used to be rather partial to viscount biscuits, so I expect I'd happily wolf down one or four of these.

Cakelaw said...

Yum! I think choc minty biscuits would be nice. An Aussie fave is a chocolate covered mint biscuit called Mint Slice.