Sunday 28 July 2013

Raspberry and gooseberry cake

 


Up until about an hour before making this cake it was going to be a raspberry cake, but then I saw some irresistible purple gooseberries in my local greengrocers and decided on adding them to the cake.  It was a good decision even if the weight of them did cause the fruit to sink a bit – maybe next time I’ll cut them in half.






Berries are one of the wonders of baking; they make every cake they’re in a delight.  I love the way they add so much colour and flavour, but most of all I love the little pockets of squidginess they add to the sponge.




The Chambord liqueur is an extravagance!  It’s one of my favourite liqueurs as it’s so fruity.  I often find fruit liqueurs taste more of raw alcohol than fruit but this one is delicious.  It adds a fruity pep to the batter and I will be using it in other baked goods – I’m thinking it would work well in buttercreams, mousses and cheesecakes as it doesn’t have a harsh alcoholic sting.




A beautiful cake deserves a beautiful mould and look at this one!  It’s the I Heart Cake mould from Mustard.  They very kindly offered me one to try out.  If you cut it correctly (in extremely pleasing large slices!) every slice is a heart...you are literally offering someone your heart.  Who knew heart tasted so good?






But best of all – and to continue the theme of sharing the love – Mustard offered me a second mould.  They will send a free I Heart Cake mould to the winner of my competition.  The winner will be drawn at random on Saturday 3 August and the closing date for entries is midnight on Friday 2 August.  The competition is open to anyone in the UK and to enter, all you have to do is leave a comment to this post telling me who you would like to serve a slice of heart shaped cake to.





Ingredients

350g unsalted butter, at room temperature
350g golden caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra for sprinkling on top
2 tablespoons Chambord liqueur – you can you any other liqueur or milk if you don’t want any booze
6 eggs
350g self raising flour
300g raspberries
100g purple gooseberries – you can use any other berry or soft fruit

To serve: clotted cream


Method

Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C/375°F/gas mark 5.

Use cake release spray in the silicon heart cake mould.  If you are using a more standard tin then I suggest a 23cm round springform tin – don’t use a 20cm one, this is a BIG cake!

Place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft.

Add the sugar and beat together until pale, light and whippy.

Beat in the Chambord.

Beat in the eggs one at a time, if it looks like the mix will curdle add some of the flour.

Stir in the flour.

Spoon a generous half of the batter into the prepared mould and level the surface.

Scatter half the raspberries over the batter.

Cover with the remaining cake batter and level the surface.

Scatter over the remaining raspberries, along with the gooseberries and gently press into the batter – don’t be too heavy handed, they will naturally sink into the batter during baking.

Sprinkle the remaining golden caster sugar over the top.

Bake for 50 minutes before checking; if the edges are browning quicker than the centre cover them with a strip of foil.  Don’t be surprised if it takes comfortably over an hour to bake.  Mine took 1 hour 15 minutes.  It’s done when a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Leave to cool for 30 minutes in the tin on a wire rack before attempting to turn out – cakes with lots of berries are squishy and tender from the oven.

Serve with clotted cream.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

30 comments:

Fiona said...

Its my 12th wedding anniversary today so I would have to serve my slice of heart shaped cake to my husband.

Anonymous said...

I would serve it to my Daughter because she is the light of my life .

Lucy said...

The cake sounds delicious - I love baking with gooseberries - and the tin is so cute! I'd serve a heart-shaped slice to my sister at her homecoming.

Catherine said...

My husband who holds my heart with such amazing care

Claire said...

I love that cake tin well cake mould, I don't usually like plastic cake cases but I would make an exception for this one, a slice looks fantastic! X

arlene said...

For my mum who will always be in my heart and all loved ones who are no longer with us

Gloria Baker said...

This is a wonderful and yummy cake, look delicious!

Gemma samanta said...

It would have to be for my husband... For putting up with my grumpiness and tiredness (relatively new mum to second child!) it's always him who tries my baking triumphs and disasters!

MuchRatherBake said...

I'd serve a heart shaped slice to every member of my family after a family meal. Pudding is always in demand and I love them all even though we moan about each other!

Janine said...

I've never heard of black gooseberries before, but this cake sounds excellent. The heart mould is a fun concept, too!

Katie said...

I've just been and picked a load of green gooseberries and was planning a crumble but if there are any left I may have to try baking them in cake! Looks fab

Lisa Shannon said...

That looks delicious, it is my 23rd Wedding Anniversary today so it would have to be my husband - sans November's MO hehe!!

Penny said...

What an unusual cake yum!!!!
I would serve up the heart shaped cake to my favourite little boys and their daddy.

Alice said...

I would serve a slice to my Mum and Dad, as it is their 35th wedding anniversary!

Jo said...

What a great shape of cake, I love that each slice is a heart. What a cool idea!

Cher My Cakes said...

I'd serve my slice of cake to myself, as i rarely stop to enjoy my heard work (courtesy of my kitchen aid) lol

Vix Johnston said...

I would serve a couple of slices to my brother and his missus on thier 6th anniversary (although I'd have to send them by airmail as they live in Regina!)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh it does look good. I do love a cake with fruit in it. I have the same cake tin, but haven't used it yet.

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Lovely & delicious cake full with seasonal berries! Would love to have a slice now with my tea! Looks inviting! YUM!

Kimberly said...

It looks so delicious. Here in Finland gooseberrie time is beginning.

Kezia said...

I love gooseberries! I would share a slice of heart cake with my Grandparents, not only for providing me with gooseberries from their garden but for also being awesome grandparents!

Liz said...

I'd share a heart-shaped piece of cake with my lovely husband, as he always appreciates my baking.

This cake looks lovely, I really love berries in cakes, and gooseberries makes a change from the usual.

claire said...

Mm mm delicious cake! And fab cake tin!

I would share my heart shaped cake with my best friend - cup of tea and a slice of cake whilst catching up with news. I don't see her as often as I should...

AFlower said...

That looks brilliant - I'll be honest and say that I would have the first piece of heart shaped cake :)

Tom said...

If I didn't offer the first slice to my wife, there would be questions to answer.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful cake! I'd be extremely selfish and serve a slice of heart shaped cake to myself- everyone should learn to love themselves a little bit more, cake seems a great way to start!

Izzy said...

Looks lovely and the flavour combination sounds good too, sharp gooseberries and sweet raspberries. I would make it for my family... it looks big enough!

Cakelaw said...

What a gorgeous cake! I have Chambord, but sadly no gooseberries.

Anonymous said...

i would serve a slice of heart shaped cake to my Grandma!!! Cool cake mould!!! Nikki

Choclette said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh. Don't think I've come across raspberries and gooseberries together, but I bet this cake is fabulous. I'm still waiting for my mould to turn up, but love the shape of it.