Sunday 10 March 2013

Rum and raisin cupcakes


 


Rum and raisin is a classic combination.  I remember in my youth pretending to like it because it had rum in it and it was very grown up...truth was I hated it!  As my taste buds have matured rum has become my favourite alcoholic flavour – I’m not really into wine or beer and most spirits leave me cold...but rum, oh those sweet caramel overtones do it for me!




I have recently discovered the delights of spiced rum.  Normally, with drinks, the addition of the word ‘spiced’ makes me run a mile (I blame mulled wine for this – just typing the name has made me shudder!  Seriously, who enjoys hot wine with cinnamon sticks and other remnants of the spice cupboard floating in it?) But spiced rum draws predominantly on vanilla with a hint of cinnamon and it works so well. The rum has a creamy dessert quality to it – thus is perfect for baking!





The golden rule for any bake where you soak fruit in alcohol is: the longer the better.  I decided mid week I was going to make these cupcakes at the weekend and started soaking the fruit straight away.  I have read that if you don’t have time to pre-soak, gently heating the fruit and booze in a microwave can speed up the absorption but I haven’t tried it personally.




These cupcakes are potent!  Hard to believe they contain so little rum.  I think it’s because the rum is stored in the raisins thus juicy little pockets explode on your tongue.  At first the rum isn’t that obvious but it builds throughout the eating...especially if you eat two (or so I’ve heard).



A simple cream topping is all these cakes need; I think that means they would make a good dessert too.  The cream actually needs more of a mention than that – it was lovely.  So often the buttercream can turn a cupcake into quite a substantial eat; the cream kept it light and whippy. I will definitely be topping more cupcakes with whipped sweetened cream.






Ingredients

For the cupcakes:
160g raisins
3 tablespoons dark rum – I used Capt Morgan spiced rum
150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g caster sugar or light brown sugar – I used 75g of each
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs, at room temperature
150g self raising flour
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons milk

For the cream topping:
300ml double cream
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Method

As far in advance as possible (ideally over a day) put the raisins and rum in an airtight container to allow the raisins to soak up the rum.  Stir occasionally.  The longer in advance you soak the fruit, the less liquid you’ll have left in the bottom of the pot.  I soaked mine for three days.

Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan oven 140°C/320°F/gas mark 3.

Line a 12 hole cupcake pan with paper cases.

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and whippy.  Don’t skimp on this stage.

Beat in the vanilla extract.

Beat in one egg.

Beat in a second egg.

Beat in half of the flour and all of the cinnamon.

Beat in one tablespoon of milk.

Beat in the remaining egg, followed by the remaining flour and milk.

Weigh out 140g of the raisins that have been soaking in the rum.  Keep the remainder for decoration.

Fold the raisins into the batter.

Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the sponges comes out clean.

Leave to cool on a wire rack, removing the cupcakes from the pan as soon as it is cool enough to do so.  Leave them to cool completely on the wire rack.

Now make the topping: Whisk the cream, icing sugar and vanilla until it forms peaks and is just firm enough to pipe – don’t go too far or the cream will go lumpy.

Spoon into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.  If you don’t like piping, simply place large spoonfuls of cream onto the sponges.

Spoon the remaining raisins on top of the cream.

Refrigerate up until an hour before serving.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.

Eat.

23 comments:

Susie @ Fold in the Flour said...

Brilliant - I love the idea of rum soaked juicy raisins popping in my mouth. These look gorgeous. Worth planning for. :)

Gloria Baker said...

look delicious I love these rum and raisin cupcakes:)

Ulla said...

These are cupcakes my husband would love. Perhaps I make them to him one special day. I might even add some rum to topping for him! And change some of cream to fat-free quark. It makes topping even more lighter. I have never learned to like this combinations, this is something which makes me run away. Not glögi as we call mulled wine here in Finland.

cupcake girl said...

I'm totally with you on the fresh cream topping. I discovered how gorgeous it can be when I made some chocolate mudcake cupcakes and used them as my frosting. It was deliciously light+ sweet.

Caroline said...

Ooh, they do look good. I can just imagine how good the rum, cinnamon and raisins are together. Yum. Love the soft whippy cream too.

Snowy said...

They look delicious. Love the flavours and the topping.

Soo said...

I love mulled wine!! :)

The cupcakes look yummmmmm although I'd probably have to leave out the raisins as they are on my list of 'things I do not think I like'. But I expect if I came across the raisin version I'd pick the raisins off the top and brave it out (and love it!)

Victory Rolls & Mixing Bowls said...

Sweetened whipped cream is lovely, completely underrated! I also completely agree on the mulled wine point, I just don't get it...at all.

Now I want a potent cupcake...or two

Nom x

Unknown said...

mmmmm I had a massive flash back reading this to a couple of holidays we had in devon where my fave ice cream flavour was rum & raisin. The cupcakes look so good.

Katie said...

These look fabulous! I love the flavour to rum too, but not wine. Not heard of spiced rum, that sounds amazing, must look it up.
I'll have to remember these cupcakes for Fathers Day as rum n raisin is one of my dads favourites too

thelittleloaf said...

OOh I love the idea of rum and raisin in cupcake form - I only ever really use the combination in ice cream. Alcohol soaked dried fruit is so delicious in any form though so can imagine these are fab.

Maggie said...

Mmm I love spiced rum and love rum and raisin cupcakes. Using fresh cream for the topping makes them super delicious.

Kiwi Jess said...

If you like rum, please try Mount Gay, it is the business! Goes great with ginger beer, especially that fiery Jamaican one! Also the cupcakes look amazing!

Lucy said...

I don't think I've ever tried rum but the idea of the spiced rum with vanilla flavours sounds great! Raisin cupcakes remind me of primary school bake sales - they must have been a popular flavour that everybody liked - so the recipe looks very comforting.

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Kiwi Jess

Yes, Mount Gay is lovely - particularly the golden rum. In truth, any dark rum is ok with me!

Happy baking

Hello said...

I have rum and raisin ice-cream all the time, but never thought it could be turned into a cupcake. Thanks for sharing the recipe! x

Cakelaw said...

I have long been a fan of rum and raising icecream, so I figure I'd like these too!

Lauren Roffey said...

These look awesome. I particularly like the use of whipped cream on top, something I will def try out now, thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

My brother and I made these cupcakes for my father on Father's Day and they were a hit! The only thing I did differently was to increase the amount of raisins and rum added because my family and I are alcoholics like that. ;) Thank you for this!

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes are indeed soft and moist, i love them. I poked some holes in them and drizzled more rum over. Delicious!

DT

Anonymous said...

my husband's favorite ice cream is rum raisin. I shall make this for him soon as a just because present.

Anonymous said...

to add on, I wonder how it would be to add rum instead of canilla to the frosting?

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Anonymous

Rum in the frosting would work well - just add it sparingly because it is watery and you don't want to compromise your icing!

Happy baking