Sunday 24 February 2013

Madeleine





I’m really enjoying BBC2’s revival of the ‘Food and Drink’ show.  I know it’s been criticised for being cosy and twee but I don’t mind a bit of cosy and twee, and I’m always willing to listen to any cookery advice Michel Roux Jr wishes to offer!






As soon as Michel started making French Madeleine I sat back and waited for Mr CC to suggest that I should make them.  It didn’t take long.  Mr CC has a food vocabulary only rivalled by the CCD (Caked Crusader’s Da) for making a compliment sound like an insult.  Hence, when he said I should make these as they would have more crust, and the crust was always his favourite bit of any sponge I made, I didn’t take offence.




I didn’t anticipate how buttery these little cakes would be – they are utter indulgence!  The golden sponge bakes quickly and acquires a thin crispness around the edge of the shell shape that adds to the texture.  I was very proud to get the little bump in baking (Michel called them a nipple but that’s a little too French for me, so I’ve opted for bump!)




This could be a ‘oh, just me then’ moment but you know sometimes you bake something...and it’s cooling on the rack...and you try it...then another one...and you find yourself thinking, “I hope everyone gets here soon or there’ll be none left”?  This is one of those bakes!




The hardship of this recipe is that the cakes are best eaten within an hour of baking, or at least the same day.  I thought Michel Roux Jr was perhaps being a little cheffy and precious about the ‘eat within an hour’ bit but it is actually true – when they’ve fully cooled they lose their crisp shell/soft sponge contrast.  I had a couple left and they were still nice the next day – just not as fluffy and light.




Ingredients

100g unsalted butter, melted and left to cool
 2 eggs
100g caster sugar
100g plain flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract – OR – juice and zest of a lemon
¾ teaspoon baking powder

Method

Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/400°F/gas mark 6.

Grease two Madeleine pans (the recipe will make between 12 and 16 depending on the size of your tins) – I used a baking spray, but the traditional method would be to brush them with melted butter, then tip in some flour and coat, tipping out any excess.

Melt the butter and leave to cool a little.

Whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and frothy.

Whisk in the flour, vanilla (or lemon), baking powder and butter.

Leave the mix to stand for 20 minutes.  Don’t be tempted to skip this stage as the batter changed; it firmed up and became thicker.

Spoon the batter into the prepared tins taking care not to overfill.  I found a heaped tablespoon of batter was plenty for each mould.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until risen and golden.

Lift out of the tin and transfer to a wire cooling rack.

Best eaten on the day of baking - ideally within an hour of coming out the oven.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.

Eat.

18 comments:

Cakeyboi said...

Loving the new Food and Drink - cosy and twee fine by me too! And I could easily polish these off in under an hour if you need any help ;)

Victoria said...

Ooh they look YUMMY!

I normally find that when I bake, it tastes good on the day but then gets better and better as the days go on.

But I like the sound of these. Eat them straight away = always a good thing!

Debs Dust Bunny said...

I saw that episode and immediately began to lust after a proper Madeleine tin. I am so pleased you baked them and they are as good as they look. One problem, I am still lusting after a Madeleine tin!

Caroline said...

They look great - love your 'bump'. I've made madeleines successfully in technical terms but wasn't really taken with the flavour. I didn't eat them straightaway though, so perhaps I should try them again and eat them quickly!

Gloria Baker said...

I love madeleines and aways make (and my mom too) but never find here this adorable pan you use, this is I want to madeleines, love this post!

Kezia said...

They look divine! I've always wanted to try Madeleines but I was put off by having to have a special tin for them. It's definitely not just you who samples things on the cooling rack, I do it all the time as well:)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I bought a tray ages ago, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Glad to have a reminder. I can imagine it would be so easy to eat one, then another, then another ......

Victory Rolls & Mixing Bowls said...

I've always been unsure about these, always worried they'd be dry but as you say they're full of butter and lightness...I could be turned...looking lovely as all your cakes do x

Unknown said...

These look great/. Am also a cooling rack nibbler - I don't think these would last 5 minutes in our house. i am also lusting for a madeleine tin

Lucy said...

I'm sure the requirement to eat these within an hour wouldn't be a problem - they look delicious! Coincidentally I'd recently wanted to experiment with more madeleines so this has inspired me to get cracking.

Coffee and Crumpets said...

I love madeleines and make them whenever I can! Love the shell shape and the buttery taste. Yours look perfect!

Nazneen

Katie said...

I saw these and wanted to make them too. I'm so bad at doing that. I watch tv programmes and think 'I'll bake those' and rarely do. Its great to see how they turned out.
They look perfect and love the bump/nipple you achieved :)

Jessica Robert said...

the perfect madeleines of Proust!

Maggie said...

When I made some Madeleines I thought I had done something wrong, I didn't realise they were supposed to have a bump until I saw Food and Drink! Lovely bake - shame they don't keep.

Jo said...

I know what you mean about the cooling situation, which I why I don't bake biscuits or brownies too often... I will eat them all while they're still warm!

Is it just me or did you think Michel Roux jr flirted rather a lot with Mary Berry on Food and Drink? ;)

Baking Addict said...

I love French Madeleines and have only just discovered English Madeleines which I tried last week. Love the bump on yours :)

Choclette said...

That episode, the only one I've seen, had me all inspired to make some Madeleine too, but unlike you I didn't quite get there. Yours look fabulous and the sponge inside does nothing to detract from your reputation of sponge maker extraordinaire.

Donna said...

I am totally the same when it comes to trying anything just baked from the oven....for 'quality control purposes'!

I too was watching the lovely M. Roux when he made the madeleines and it inspired me to dig out my unused madeleine tin and give them a go a write about it on my blog!

My madeleines look very similar and as its the first time I have ever made them, I am chuffed too!