Sunday 13 November 2011

Rocky road cupcakes



Unusually for me I was extremely dithery in what to bake this week; normally I know what I want to bake as soon as I’ve posted the previous week’s bake on my blog! I was eventually drawn to this recipe as it contains just about everything – I might as well call them “kitchen sink cupcakes”!


I’ve never had rocky road before although I’ve been aware of it. Reading about it online it seems that you can pick or choose what you want to include – biscuits, dried fruit, coconut, brownies...I even saw popcorn mentioned, but the vital components are marshmallow, chocolate and nuts. So I’ve obeyed the rules but added chopped honeycomb pieces (like you’d get in a Crunchie, not actual honeycomb!) simply because I’ve tidied my baking cupboard and been reunited with them!


These turned out to be substantial cupcakes in size, look and the amount of stomach space they occupy. Or in other words: win, win, win!


The cake is squidgy – almost a halfway between sponge and brownie; the frosting is thick and fudgy. They are a perfect combination. You can see how squidgy the sponge is in this photo, taken when the cakes were fresh from the oven:




Ingredients

For the cupcake sponge:
140g unsalted butter, at room temperature
140g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
150g self raising flour
55g cocoa powder
50g milk chocolate chips
30g mini marshmallows – or diced larger marshmallows

For the topping (this topping is very rich and therefore I recommend piping on a little less than you would a normal cupcake. If you want the normal amount of buttercream, double the quantities as this is quite a mean recipe!):
50g plain chocolate, broken into squares (I actually used ½ dark, ½ milk chocolate)
2 tablespoons water
25g unsalted butter
175g icing sugar

To decorate:
85g mini marshmallows
40g nuts, roughly chopped – I used almonds
50g honeycomb pieces
Optional: 55g milk chocolate ,melted

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.

Line a cupcake pan with paper cases.

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Don’t skimp on this stage as this is what makes the sponge light and airy.

Beat in the vanilla extract

Beat in the eggs, using a little of the flour if it looks like it might curdle.

Gently fold in the flour and cocoa powder.

When the mixture is smooth and well combined, stir in the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows

Spoon the batter into the paper cases.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Mine took 18 minutes.

Remove from the tin as soon as possible and leave to cool on a wire rack – removing from the tin is important as the heat of the tin will mean that the cupcakes continue to cook.

Now make the topping: place the chocolate, water and butter in a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water.

Stir until melted and smooth.

With the bowl still over the water stir in the icing sugar and beat until smooth and thick. At this point you can remove from the heat and whip further off the heat.

It takes a lot of beating – firstly, until it is cool and secondly, until it’s thick enough to pipe. I mixed it until cool, then popped it in the fridge for 30 minutes before giving it a final whip up.

Pipe the frosting over the cupcakes then decorate with whichever components of a rocky road you have chosen to use.

Optional: Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the top.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.

Eat.

22 comments:

Victory Rolls & Mixing Bowls said...

I love the idea of an almost brownie cupcake! Your swirls are always so huge and perfect looking!

Nom! x

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

What a lovely bake! Squidgy cupcakes are definitely the best variety, especially piled with so many goodies!

Kezia said...

The words 'rocky road' and 'cupcakes' immediately made me feel hungry! Yum Yum Yum!

Helen said...

They look and sound delicious!

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Oh, just found your blog and I think I'm falling in (platonic) love! Love how you write, love the pics, love the recipes. Off to read more! :-)
Pig x

Maggie said...

These look deliciously indulgent. I have yet to catch up with rocky road though.

Anonymous said...

It does seem like very good idea to try,.RockyRoad in a cupcake,Yes I think I like it;)

Jo said...

A brownie cupcake? I like the sound of that! The topping looks so good too. I can't believe you haven't tried rocky road before though! The bakery below my student flat in Edinburgh used to sell amazing rocky road.

Lisa Marie said...

Oh, sweet mother of Mike. I just tried to climb into the computer. Please, oh marvelous Caked Crusader, *please* tell me you have published a cookbook. Or will publish a cookbook. Please.

Katie said...

They look wonderfully soft and fudgy. I love your line "because I’ve tidied my baking cupboard and been reunited with them!" What a great image I got in my head. Made me smile :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh these look amazing, so rich and yummy!

Y said...

Squidgeyness is a huge plus, as far as I'm concerned!

Anonymous said...

These look absolutely divine! I'm not a huge fan of cupcakes as find they can be a little dry, but yours look so fudgy and delicious. Wow. Love the topping too, and anything with crunchie in it gets my vote :-)

Step-parent's Cove said...

They really look good! Yum!

Baking Addict said...

Delicious! Definitely a win win win cupcake :)

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

fab idea - rather like compost cookies. I'm glad you told us how moist / fudgy these are - the cut photo makes them look quite dry.

I think my little chocolate cake boy might like making these !

Choclette said...

Chocolate, honeycomb, marshmallows AND squidgy, what's not to like? Maybe a clear out of my cupboards is an idea.

Caroline said...

They look great - really rich and delicious and full of lovely things.

I've seen rocky road rock cakes in Dan Lepard's Short and Sweet that I quite fancy too - chocolate rock cakes topped with a rocky road mix - mmm!

Maria♥ said...

Those cupcakes not only sound amazing but look gorgeous!!

Maria
x

Cakefairyblog said...

Gorgeous! The cakes look so squidgy and moist and you reminded me of the honeycomb pieces I have hidden somewhere it my cupboard.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Oh yum they look gorgeous!

Cakelaw said...

Fabulous!