Sunday 24 July 2011

Strawberry and clotted cream whirls




OK, so summer’s forgotten that it’s meant to be here at the moment but I will still, resolutely, pursue summer baking.
So what if these delightfully summery whirls are eaten under grey skies with the rain lashing against the window? Actually, today was rather lovely – warm and sunny, so maybe baking summer-themed items makes the weather realise how it’s meant to behave!


My first comment about these little biscuits is to save yourself some time and make a double batch.
You’ll thank me for it later! Also remember, that while the quantity below makes 22 individual biscuits, you need 2 for the finished whirl – so that’s only 11 whirls and, let’s be honest, when was 11 ever enough of such a lovely thing?


Buttery, crumbly, shortbread style biscuits with a hint of fragrant vanilla are sandwiched with thick, golden, clotted cream and strawberries.
I’m drooling just typing it! The recipe said to add the cream and strawberries separately but I found they didn’t sandwich well, so I chopped the strawberries smaller and swirled them through the cream.


To keep the biscuits crumbly and not soggy, only sandwich them when you’re ready to eat.
It’s not a problem as they are quick to complete if you have the components ready – plus, everyone really enjoyed building their own!


The biscuits would work so many different ways – I’m already thinking about dipping them in molten chocolate, or sandwiching with nutella. Or, if you can’t be bothered with anything fancy, just eat them as they are.....

Ingredients

For the biscuits:

250g unsalted butter, softened
200g plain flour
50g cornflour
50g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the filling:

300g clotted cream (or whipped cream if you prefer)
250g strawberries, sliced

Method

Preheat the oven to 180˚C/fan oven 160˚C/350˚F/Gas mark 4

Line two large baking sheets with baking paper

Beat together the butter, flour, cornflour, icing sugar and vanilla until a smooth dough forms.

Spoon it into a piping bag (it’s nicest to use a star shaped nozzle so you get definition to your biscuits).

Pipe ovals onto the prepared baking trays. About the size of an egg is what you should aim for. Leave a little space for expansion during baking.

At first the paste will feel thick and piping will be hard work but, as it warms in your hands, it will get easier.

You should get approx 22 biscuits – don’t forget that each finished whirl will use two biscuits.

Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Mine took a little longer at 18 minutes, but check them before then.

Leave to cool, on the tray, on a wire rack – the biscuits will be soft and crumbly so don’t try to take them off the tray before they are cold.

When ready to serve (don’t do it too far in advance or the biscuits will soften) take one biscuit and spoon clotted cream onto the flat side.

Lay some sliced strawberry on top and then sandwich with a second biscuit. I actually found it a lot easy to chop the strawberries and swirl them through the cream – that meant both biscuits stuck better!

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.

Eat.


24 comments:

Miz Ratti said...

Can you send Ruben over with a plate of these for me please.... lush

Soo said...

send Miz Ratti's via Greenwich! I'll leave her some - honest. :)

Gloria Baker said...

Look perfect and delicious, love them, gloria

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Those looks so good, I can imagine biting into one. I think you should bake lots of summery things now to keep the nice weather up. The pressure is on now CC.

Caroline said...

Gorgeous!!! We seem to have summer here today, but it might be gone tomorrow...

I don't think it gets better than build your own with strawberries, cream and biscuits... yum!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Maybe these are indeed goodluck- charms bringing not only strawberry-shortbread-sweetness (love it!) but good weather? Please stay sunshine!

silverpebble said...

Good grief.

Victory Rolls & Mixing Bowls said...

these look so yummy I can smell the butter!!

Mary said...

I think I might have sighed when I saw this recipe. I haven't had clotted cream in years and it sounds fabulous. Your cookies are absolutely lovely. I am saving this recipe to make soon!

Unknown said...

Those like nice for summer or eat them and pretend it's summer rather!

Jo said...

Oh that looks SO good, the third picture especially. Brilliant summery treat.

Cakelaw said...

These are so pretty - they would brighten up my grey, windy day!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Oh just lovely. That third picture shows how crumbly they are. Do they keep well? Sounds the perfect treat to keep in a box for when you want something sweet and pretty.

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Rhyleysgranny

I think the biscuits would keep well unmade up...not that I had a chance to find out!

Katie said...

Ohh the memories! I've not eaten these for years! My grandmother used to make these and dip the ends in chocolate. :)

Unknown said...

These look so yummy and pretty too, I love the idea of dipping them in chocolate. X

Choclette said...

These look so good and I can imagine eating one - I wish I was eating one. But I need to learn to use a piping bag before I could attempt this - why does everyone seem to find it so easy???? As for summer, it's definitely here today.

Anne said...

Not surprised you were drooling whilst typing it up, the biccies look so delicious with that lovely filling in!

Lucy said...

I love clotted cream but haven't had it in a long time - these look so summery and delicious! I really doubt I would be able to eat just the one ;)

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

I've never seen whirls made fmor scratch before, how brilliant!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Oh my gosh... drool drool drool. I have seen a few of these recipes recently and am desperate for some of these for a picnic or spot of afternoon tea! Ah yum!

Baking Addict said...

These look amazing. I must, must try this soon.

servicii contabile said...

Hmmm this recipe looks so delicious and nice and i think that fits perfect with my taste and in my opinion is a very easy recipe, so i think i will try it. Thanks for sharing.

Maggie said...

These look perfect CC and brought with them some good weather too!