Saturday 12 February 2011

Peanut butter biscuits

Early update this week, as Mr CC is whisking me off to a puddings, jelly and ice cream event on Sunday – I hope to blog about this soon!


I have a complicated relationship with peanut butter. I find it a curious ingredient. Mr CC enjoys it on toast but I hate it like that; the gloopy, claggy texture and the way it coats your mouth. Not for me. However, baking with peanut butter is a different story – you lose the texture but retain all that lovely peanut flavour.


These biscuits are so easy to make – there isn’t even any time consuming rolling out of dough, as you spoon the biscuit dough straight on to the baking sheet.


Using crunchy peanut butter adds texture and it’s satisfying when you crunch into a piece of peanut. The biscuit dough has a nice crisp bite to it, just how I like my biscuits. They have to be able to withstand a dunk in a cup of tea.


When I saw the small amounts of ingredients I was tempted to double up the ingredients. Then I read that you should get 35 biscuits from the mix. I actually got only 17 (Mr CC can’t waste his time with miniature biscuits) but it still goes to show how economical biscuits are to make. Imagine what it would cost to buy 17 artisan biscuits.


Ingredients

90g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g soft brown sugar
4 heaped tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
1 egg
125g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Method

Preheat the oven to 180˚C/fan oven 160˚C/350˚F/gas mark 4.

Line two baking sheets with baking paper.

Beat together the butter and sugar until it is whippy and paler – it will never get fluffy and pale with brown sugar but it will get fluffier and paler...it’s all relative! Beat in the crunchy peanut butter

Beat in the egg.

Stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon and mix well.

Drop teaspoonfuls of the dough on the prepared baking sheets leaving space for the biscuits to spread as they cook – don’t worry about pressing them down, they’ll find their own level when they cook.

Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until the biscuits are golden and firm to the touch.

Leave to cool, still on the tray, on a wire rack.

When the biscuits have cooled and firmed you can place them directly on the wire rack – if you do this when the biscuits are soft straight from the oven they will break.

Store in an airtight tin.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.

Eat.

14 comments:

Abbie said...

Peanut butter biscuits are so delicious! I love the salty-sweet flavour and crunch!

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

I am a fan of all things peanut butter & these sounds amazing! Can't wait to make them - thanks for the inspiration:)

Baking Addict said...

I love peanut butter and cookies so this is a real winner for me.

Rhyleysgranny said...

I love peanut butter but have never made cookies with it. These look lovely. I need to try these.

LandGirl1980 said...

These look yummersome! See - I am with Mr CC on the PB on T - especially with a banana on top! nom!!!

Nikki Hallam-Hocken said...

they do look lovely and the cinnamon is novel . Mine always come out looking like rock cakes because of the high peanut butter ratio (melts less easily than butter). Have you though of adding dark chocolate chips? There are very few things in this life, no matter how good, that are not made better by the addition of chocolate ;o)

Maggie said...

Peanut butter is definitely not a favourite of mine, but for reasons unknown to me, it goes to a level of loveliness in baking!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Totally agree that biscuits must be able to withstand a dunk in a cup of tea - why else were they created?! Crunchy peanut butter all the way. These sounds awesome!

cocoa and coconut said...

Peanut flavour in baked goods is a new favourite of mine! These look perfectly baked.

Cakelaw said...

These look delicious - love your heart shaped plate.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

As someone who loves peanut butter any which way, it's safe to say I'm going to be trying these! Oh, and most definitely your larger-quantity version. Like Mr CC, I can't be doing with miniature versions. I mean, really... ;)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I'd be a fan of these!! Intrigued by the pudding, jelly and ice cream event!!!

fleurblanc said...

My nephew adores all things made with peanut butter so will definately be making some of these for the next time I visit.
I bought a complete set of the Valentine crockery so that we could go completely overboard on the 14th.

Baking Addict said...

I made these and added some swirled milk chocolate and peanut butter chips and they were heavenly!
http://themorethanoccasionalbaker.blogspot.com/2011/02/peanut-butter-cookies-with-peanut.html