Sunday 2 November 2008

Dorset apple cake

I have fond memories of family holidays in Dorset; Bridport to be more exact. We’d load up the car with everything from sandwiches for the journey (the sausage and ketchup would always go first) to the dog’s basket and hope that we’d get there without Dinky (the dog) puking over one of us. Waiting for us was Mallards, the fabulous shop in Bridport High Street that sold a thrilling array of pies including big pork pies with crimped tops. We were Blackadder obsessed at the time so the shop instantly became known to us as “Miggins” after Mrs Miggins’ Pie Shop. Ahhhh, memories.


What that little jaunt down memory lane is meant to indicate, other than most of my memories involve food, is that I have a fondness for anything with a Dorset connection. In my mind Dorset is a place of lovely pies and cakes, thus when I saw this recipe I gave it my full attention.


The cake is moist because of the apple. As there is sugar in both the cake and the extremely crumbly topping I chose a tart apple – a Granny Smith – to provide some contrast. It worked very well.


I served the cake at room temperature with Chantilly cream. It would also be lovely hot with custard.


Ingredients:
For the cake:
110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g light brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
175g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons milk (whole or semi skimmed)
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced (I used Granny Smith)

For the crumble:
25g unsalted butter, cold
75g plain flour
50g Demerara sugar
Pinch of cinnamon

How to make:

- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan oven 140°C/315°F/Gas mark 2-3.
- Grease and line a 20cm square tin. It’s easier if the tin is either springform or loose bottomed.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. I always find this takes longer when using brown sugar.
- Gradually beat in the eggs. If the mix looks like it’s curdling add some of the flour.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Stir in the milk.
- Stir in the chopped apple.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and put to one side.
- Now make the crumble topping: Rub the butter into the flour until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and cinnamon.
- Scatter the crumble over the top of the cake and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Mine took 45 minutes.
- Serve either hot with custard or cold with cream.
- Bask in glory at the wonderful thing you have made.
- Eat.

17 comments:

trash said...

Speaking as a Dorset dweller I am enjoying the shout out to our beloved apple cake.

While it would be quite nice served as you have suggested my preference is warmed up with some clotted cream on the side. Although you seem to have forgotten to add any sultanas to your mix ;-) And perhaps some nuggets of purest green? ;-)

The Caked Crusader said...

Interesting...my recipe didn't use sultanas. I can see they'd be a nice addition.

Warm with clotted cream can never be a bad way to serve a cake!

As for purest green...well, there's only one man I know who could ever produce that....!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmm, that cake looks and sounds delicious. I was already a goner and then you suggested serving it with chantilly cream. Be still my beating heart!

Cakelaw said...

Delicious - any baked good with apple in it has my heart.

Maggie said...

I love cakes with a crumble topping. I've seen lots of recipes for Dorset Apple Cake - is this the original?

Big Boys Oven said...

lovely apple cake you had there . . . I miss having farm apples in UK!

muzzyblue said...

Thank you for your wonderful Blackadder link! Though I'm American, I was introduced to Bladder and Baldrick and the gang in 2000 when I stayed with a friend in Ramsgate, and have been obsessed with them ever since. I only grieve that they didn't make more episodes, and that it's so hard to find their DVDs in the U.S.

By the way, I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it 'weasel'. LOL

Swati said...

This is yummy and so different.. great recipe...

Dee said...

Mmm... gorgeous. Especially with the chantilly cream. Yummo!

Katie said...

Ohh yes warm with custard sounds heavenly

glamah16 said...

It looks so delicate and light compared to a lot aplle cakes you see out there. Wonderful.

Rosie said...

Dorset is a lovely area of England. Your cake looks and sounds gorgeous C.C.

Rosie x

Maria said...

This cake looks like a winner!! The cream sounds heavenly too!

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hi
thanks for passing by..it has been a long time and lot to catch on.... i liked your dorset apple cake.. the recipe is quite interesting would love to try it...i must imagine the lingering wonderful taste....and blond ginger cake preparation is also good.

Lady of the Cloth said...

My mouth is watering just looking at your recipes. You know I always have questions. We in the US don't have as many kinds of cream and I have never heard of Chantilly cream. Is is a mixture you make?

The Caked Crusader said...

Hi Lady of the Cloth

Chantilly cream is basically just whipped cream with some sugar added to it. I always add vanilla too but this is optional.

Hope this helps

The Caked Crusader

Dorset holiday cottages said...

That looks good and it tastes better for sure. I want to make one. Hope it will turn okey!