Sunday 25 May 2008

Ginger and spice cupcakes

As my ginger obsession shows no sign of abating, I decided to make ginger cupcakes this week. What appealed to me about this recipe was that it was a proper gingerbread i.e. using treacle and golden syrup and other naughty things, but in cupcake form rather than one big cake.

There are many options as to how you can decorate these. The original recipe left them plain but for a slice of candied ginger on top. While that would be nice, I can never resist white icing so I chose to smother them in icing made from icing sugar and water. You could also serve them warm for dessert with custard.

This is how the cupcakes are straight from the oven; they would be very nice just left au natural:


One thing I didn’t expect was how sticky they were. Harsh words were spoken trying to remove the cupcake wrapper. The gingerbread was very soft and spongy and some of the sponge got torn.


The recipe uses treacle and golden syrup but don’t assume that makes the cakes heavy – they aren’t! Light and moist with a real spicy kick these are a winner. I like ginger cake quite hot and the recipe sets out the quantities of spice that I used; if you like things a little milder, put less in.

White icing is always a winner – note that I put a sheet of greaseproof paper under the rack so it was easier to clean away icing that ran off the cakes:


I admit that these aren’t the prettiest or most perfect looking cakes but sometimes it’s all about the flavour: this is such a time. If ever there’s a photo that proves beauty comes from within this is it:


Ingredients:
For the cake:
1 egg
120ml milk (whole or semi skimmed)
90g plain flour
30g self raising flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon mixed spice
80g caster sugar
60g unsalted butter
100g black treacle
25g golden syrup

For the icing:
Icing sugar and water blended together until you get the consistency you want – thick but still runny and glossy.

How to make:

- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
- Lightly whisk the egg and milk together and then whisk in the flours, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice and caster sugar.
- Place the butter, treacle and golden syrup in a saucepan over a gentle heat and stir constantly until the butter has melted.
- Stir the warm butter mix into the flour mixture. At first it will seem incredibly runny but keep stirring and you will feel it thicken.
- Spoon the mix into the paper cases. It is runny and I found this easiest to do with a ladle. Only fill each case about ½ - 2/3 full as the mixture rises quite a lot.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and then decorate as you wish.
- Bask in glory at the wonderful thing you have made.
- Eat.

2 comments:

glamah16 said...

I love dark spicy gingerbread.I just pulled some from the freezer the other day lefy over from winter.I finally found those cups. I had only seen the mini versions before. Now I can create!

Rosie said...

WOW just look at those fantastic cupcakes!! I just adore ginger & spice too :)

Rosie x