Monday 3 September 2007

What the Caked Crusader chose to bake to this week (1 Sept 07)

Is there more perfect music to bake to than Louis Jordan? For the uninitiated Louis Jordan was a singer and saxophonist who lead his own band the Tympani 5 (there were never 5 members though – much in the same vein as Ben Folds Five) in the 1930s-50s. Not only is the music boisterous and the lyrics warm and witty but Louis also favours food themes. Having given it some thought, I can break his food songs down into the following genres; there are songs about:

Food – Beans & Cornbread, Cole Slaw
Things that will become food – Ain’t Nobody Here But Us Chickens
Places that sound like food – Salt Pork West Virginia
Places that serve great food – Saturday Night Fish Fry
People that probably enjoy their food a little too much – Fat Sam From Birmingham, I Like ‘Em Fat Like That
Equipment that helps with food preparation – I’m Gonna Move To The Outskirts of Town. This song contains the line “don’t need no ice man, I’m gonna buy a Frigidaire”

In fact, there’s only one thing I have to disagree with Louis about and it’s a serious grievance. His, admittedly great, song ‘Knock Me a Kiss’ contains the following:
I like cake and no mistake, but baby if you insist
I’ll cut out cake, just for your sake
Baby! C’mon knock me a kiss

I needn’t tell you how wrong this is on every level.

1 comment:

Soo said...

I recognise that as the first comment on your shiny new blog I should not be courting controversy... but ... I think Louis might have had a point on the kiss over cake business.

(Hold on. Just read the lyrics again. Does he mean give up cake forever?? I thought he just meant til the kiss was over. How can someone sing about giving up cake forever? Freak.)

Great looking cakes! If I can stop knitting long enough I might even attempt the almond one.